Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Validation for Wikipedia

Wikipedia's founder, Jimmy Wales, had the most ambitious vision for his site. He declared that his site will allow access to the sum of all human knowledge. I imagine at the time he had his skeptics. But, he is definitely a true visionary.

Sometime in the past I was made to understand that Wikipedia is a site that is edited by 'everyday people'. Right away I ruled it out as a source for information. Now, all that I have read about the site, has made me into a believer that Wikipedia is a valid source of information. The site was endorsed by Apple founder, Steve Job. A recent survey found that 4 out of 5 experts supported the argument that the site is a comparable source of information. Also, some trusted news outlets have used Wikipedia as a source. These and other stamp of endorsement are instrumental in the successes the site is enjoying.

The site exist throuth the collaboration of thousand of regular people. Collaboration is encouraged by teachers at all levels of the learning process. The successes that approach produces, is the concept behind the launch the functioning of Wikipedia. The editors at Wikipedia are reaching a large audience. Therefore, teachers who expose their students to Wikipedia are giving them the opportunity to communicate with a large audience.

I am now convinced that the wikipedia site offers valid information and my views have certainly changed.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same reservations about Wikipedia, as well! Also, like you, I had the same change of heart. To think that even if somebody posts wrong information, it is corrected fairly quickly (I think Richardson said within a day), eases my mind further. I also like the site even more now because I have more background knowledge about what a Wiki is, and how it works. Wikipedia has proven what a powerful learning tool that Wikis can be. I am looking forward to collaborating on our class Wiki this week!

    ReplyDelete